Popular first dance wedding songs 2019 is the subject of this month’s blog. Gordy is a DJ is regularly asked for suggestions (old and modern, fast and slow) so hopefully this blog will assist future wedding couples who are undecided about such a key moment in their reception.
Some are unsurprising, especially given the dominance of Ed Sheeran in recent years, but it is still great to see some classic choices in our top ten.
- Ed Sheeran – Perfect
- Calum Scott – You Are The Reason
- Jason Mraz – I Won’t Give Up
- James Arthur – Say You Won’t Let Go
- Kodaline – The One
- John Legend – All Of Me
- Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
- Al Green – Let’s Stay Together
- Tom Walker – Just You and I
- Christina Perri – A Thousand Years
Ellie Goulding “How Long Will I Love You”, Proclaimers “Life With You” and Ben E King “ Stand by Me” did not make the top ten but were also popular choices.
There have also been some very individual choices – why not – it was their special moment after all! In Gordy is a DJ’s opinion, there is no right or wrong for a first dance. If you want an upbeat song – great! If you want a slow, romantic, smoochy number – great too! Here is a selection of some more unique choices we had throughout the year;
- Aerosmith – I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing
- Andra Day – Rise Up
- Aqualung – Brighter Than Sunshine
- Beach Boys – God Only Knows
- Ben Howard – Conrad
- Bruce Springsteen – Kingdom Of Days
- Carly Simon – Nobody Does It Better
- Charlene Soraia – Wherever You Will Go
- Dan & Shay – From The Ground Up
- David Bowie – Heroes
- Delta Goodrem – You & You Alone
- Elton John – Can You Feel The Love Tonight
- Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere
- Gerry Cinnamon – Belter
- James Arthur/Dalton Harris – The Power Of Love
- James Bay – The Best
- James Morrison – I Won’t Let You Go
- Joan Armatrading – Heaven
- Journey – Faithfully
- L Young – Nothing Without You
- Leela James – Fall For You
- Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
- Maccabees – Toothpaste Kisses
- Marvin Gaye – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
- Oasis – Slide Away
- Paul Weller – You Do Something To Me
- Pogues – Love You ‘Til The End
- Ronan Keating – This I Promise You
- Shania Twain – From This Moment On
- Simply Red – You Make Me Feel Brand New
- Starship – Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now
- The Civil Wars – Dance Me To The End Of Love
- U2 – All I Want Is You
- Van Morrison – Have I Told You Lately
What the next few months will bring obviously remains to be seen but undoubtedly the weight of the ballads will continue although it is often nice when someone suggests something different!
Our advice is to make it fitting with you as a couple, there is no crime in having something individual.
Overall, be comfortable with what you are doing and don’t feel you need to “go it alone” – Gordy is a DJ invites the rest of the wedding party to join you on the dance floor quickly to relieve the pressure!
For more advice on your first dance or any other part of your wedding reception, please get in contact here today!
* photographs courtesy of Phil Gorry Photography and Steven Webb Photography