Happy New Year to all of our clients past and future!
In this blog, we cast our minds back over the last year and reflect upon the most popular and the most memorable first dances we had the pleasure of being part of.
Some are unsurprising, especially given the dominance of Ed Sheeran in the charts who had provided much repetition throughout the year but it’s nice to see the continuation of classic songs from years gone by!
- Ed Sheeran – Perfect
- Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
- James Arthur – Say You Won’t Let Go
- Kodaline – The One
- John Legend – All Of Me
- Michael Buble – Everything
- Ellie Goulding – How Long Will I Love You
- Christina Perri – A Thousand Years
- Elton John – Your Song
- Ben E King – Stand By Me
Al Green “Let’s Stay Together”, Lonestar “Amazed” and James Morrison “You Give Me Something” did not make the top ten but were also popular choices.
There have also been some very individual choices – why not – it was their special moment after all! In Gordy is a DJ’s opinion, there is no right or wrong for a first dance. If you want an upbeat song – great! If you want a slow, romantic, smoochy number – great too! Here is a selection of some more unique choices we had throughout the year.
- Ben Howard – Only Love
- Bette Midler – The Rose
- Biffy Clyro – Re-arrange
- Blue Suede – Hooked On A Feeling
- Bob Marley – Is This Love?
- Bright Eyes – First Day Of My Life
- Courteeners – Beautiful Head
- David Gray – The One I Love
- Des’ree – I’m Kissing You
- Jack Johnston – Better Together
- Jackie Wilson – Higher and Higher
- Jason Mraz – I’m Yours
- Jess Glynne – Take Me Home
- Johnny Cash – The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
- Katie Melua – 9 Million Bicycles
- Lifehouse – You and Me
- Louis Armstrong – What A Wonderful World
- Maccabees – Grew Up At Midnight
- Marvin Gaye – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
- Nashville Cast – When The Right One Comes Along
- Nat King Cole – L.O.V.E
- Nathan Sykes – Over and Over
- Neil Diamond – Hello Again
- Paul McCartney – This Never Happened Before
- Paul Weller – You Do Something To Me
- Peter Cetera – Glory Of Love
- Rebecca Ferguson – Nothing’s Real But Love
- Survivor – I Can’t Hold Back
- Tim McGraw – It’s Your Love
- Tom O’Dell – Grow Old With Me
- Westlife – It’s You
What the next 12 months will bring obviously remains to be seen but undoubtedly the weight of the ballads will continue although it is often nice when someone suggests something different!
Our advice is to make it fitting with you as a couple, there is no crime in having something individual.
Overall, be comfortable with what you are doing and don’t feel you need to “go it alone” – Gordy is a DJ invites the rest of the wedding party to join you on the dance floor quickly to relieve the pressure!
For more advice on your first dance or any other part of your wedding reception, please get in contact today!